This municipal policy in Helsinki helps support the informal (family) care of the elderly or handicapped by providing services for the informal carers, income and vacation as well. They sign an agreement with the municipality, and can receive training and complimentary education. Electronic health check-ups are used to monitor the status of the care being given, and adjust the support as needed.
Regional meeting places for seniors in the city of Oulu, Finland
Age-Esko project is a part of a bigger initiative which aims to improve and promote well-being in the city of Oulu. In particular, the project aims to develop regional meeting places for lonely older people living under the risk of social exclusion. The project will identify, collect and develop targeted prevention activities for older people through community support and regional cooperation (NGOs, city, church).
The project has already developed a number of operations - the phone ring activities, cultural activities, and the pilot pension info activity - focusing on the modes of proximity for older people.
The project is realized within 2009-2013.
The aim is to improve welfare and welbeing of older people in Oulu, as well as to promote participation and community support at regional level.
The aim of the GOAL is to improve physical and psychosocial well-being and to promote health among ageing citizens in the Lahti region.
The GOAL local initiative will increase welfare, diminish morbidity, and improve quality of life among the ageing population, and thereby increase the attractiveness of the region. In order to achieve this, the project aims to:
- initiate evidence-based preventive measures,
- facilitate health promotion by fostering collaboration both within community sectors and between local communities
- empower citizens to make healthy lifestyle choices.
In addition to that, a longitudinal cohort study is being carried out with more than 2500 participants.
The main results of GOAL so far are:
- The health-care sector has adopted the model of group-based intervention for prevention of vascular diseases (e.g. type 2 diabetes), and is working on a similar structured approach to identify and rehabilitate senior citizens with functional problems;
- The Joint Authority for Päijät-Häme Social and Health Care has established a team with the task to facilitate health promotion practices in social and health care;
- The leaders of local communities have used GOAL results in their strategic health policies.